I had my first piece of Boston Cream Pie last weekend. Shanny, David, Dan and I went to the Nordstroms Cafe in South Coast Plaza and I couldn’t resist getting a slice of my own! Its’ smooth chocolate glaze, sweet custard filling and vanilla cake were teasing me from behind the bakery glass, “Buy me…you know you want to!”- if desserts could talk. I caved…and I’m so glad that I did!
Here is a repost inspired by my amazing piece of Boston Cream Pie from the Nordstroms Cafe.
Boston Cream Cupcakes
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
This miniature version of the classic custard pie leaves nothing out, with rich vanilla pudding, buttermilk and a semisweet chocolate glaze.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. each baking powder and salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 package (3 oz) cook & serve vanilla pudding
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup each sugar and water
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until blended.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Beat in vanilla extract.
- With mixer on low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until just blended.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup. Bake 18 to 20 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare pudding as package directs, using 1 1/4 cups milk. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Scrape into a bowl; cover surface directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Place chocolate, sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, until melted and smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter until it melts and mixture is smooth. Let cool.
- Slice off top of cupcakes to come to top of paper liners. Spread cut surface with about 1 Tbsp. filling. Top with cupcake top. Spoon about 1 Tbsp. glaze onto top center of each, easing it over top.