I love Fall… Orange leaves, chuncky sweaters, tights & boots, fires in the fire place, all the fun festivities and… CARAMEL APPLES! Here is a marvelous recipe for Apple Pie Caramel Apples that will rock your world.
1. Wash, scrub, and dry apples. This is important because the caramel won’t stick to the apple if there is any wax polish from the grocery stores.
2. Melt caramel according to package directions. (I like to use a double boiler or microwave).
3. Put Popsicle stick in the apple. Dip in melted caramel making sure to fully coat it.
4. Place on a silpat mat or wax paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
5. Cool in the fridge until caramel is set up. If you want a thick caramel layer, add another layer of caramel and let it set up again.
6. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Stir. You can add a little bit of shortening if the mixture is too thick.
7. Coat the apple with the chocolate.
8. Let the chocolate set for 5 minutes before sprinkling it with the cinnamon sugar mixture. (* Another option could be sprinkling with powdered apple cider mix!)
9. Cool completely in the fridge.
10. Cut into slices and serve or enjoy it on the stick!
I found this amazing recipe by Christy, a fellow foodie who is the author of The Girl Who Ate Everything. Bravo Christy!